There are groups of foods which are specifically beneficial for the gut-brain axis. Let’s see which ones.
- Omega-3 fats: These fats are found in oily fish and also in high quantities in the human brain. They can increase good bacteria in the gut and reduce risk of brain disorders.
- Fermented foods: Yoghourt, kefir, sauerkraut and cheese all contain healthy microbes such as lactic acid bacteria.
- High-fibre foods: Whole grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables all contain prebiotic fibres that are good for your gut bacteria. Prebiotics can reduce stress hormones in humans.
- Polyphenol-rich foods: Cocoa, green tea, olive oil and coffee all contain polyphenols, which are plant chemicals that are digested by your gut bacteria. Polyphenols increase healthy gut bacteria and may improve cognition.
- Tryptophan-rich foods: Tryptophan is an amino acid that is converted into the neurotransmitter serotonin. Foods that are high in tryptophan include turkey, eggs and cheese.